Accidents involving city buses can be traumatic and life changing. Whether you are a pedestrian, bicyclist, or another driver, the aftermath of an accident with a city bus can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next.
The injuries sustained in these accidents can be severe and may require medical attention, resulting in high medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. Knowing what steps to take next is essential if you find yourself in this situation.
Under New York law, bus drivers have a duty to exercise reasonable care to ensure the safety of passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians. If a bus driver fails to meet this duty and causes an accident, they may be considered negligent and liable for damages sustained by victims of the crash.
To file a claim for compensation against a city bus, you must file a notice of claim with the city within 90 days of the accident. The notice must include your contact information, the date, time, location of the accident, injuries sustained, and the dollar amount you seek in the claim.
If you are involved in a crash with a city bus in New York, taking the proper steps can protect your interests and help you receive a fair settlement from the city for your injuries.
Take the following actions after the incident, including contacting an attorney from Catalano Law to guide you through your legal options:
Even if you don’t think you are seriously injured, call 911 immediately. It’s crucial to have a medical professional assess your condition.
The police will come to the accident scene, take a report, and document the details of the incident. Your lawyer can use this report to establish liability for the accident. Calling 911 also ensures that appropriate emergency services, such as fire and rescue, are dispatched to the accident scene.
Stay calm and provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible, including the accident location, injuries to yourself or others, and the number of vehicles involved.
Even if you don’t feel any pain or discomfort at the time of the accident, injuries such as whiplash, TBIs, and internal bleeding may not show symptoms right away. Delaying medical attention can affect your health and potentially impact your compensation claim.
Prompt medical attention documents your injuries and establishes a link between the accident and any subsequent medical treatment you require. Your lawyer will use medical documents like hospital bills, treatment plans, and prescriptions to show the extent of your injuries and help you receive fair compensation.
Collect all relevant information after the crash, including the names and contacts of those involved, the bus number, and photographs of the accident scene. Your attorney with Catalano Law can use this information to obtain witness statements and file your claim against the appropriate parties.
- Get the bus driver’s name, contact information, and driver’s license number.
- Obtain witness contact information and ask them to provide a statement about what they saw.
- Take note of the bus number, typically located on the exterior front, rear, sides, and interior front of the bus in at least a 2-inch font.
- Photograph the accident scene from different angles, including vehicle damage, positions, and traffic signs or signals.
After an accident with a city bus, be careful about what you say about your injury when speaking with the bus driver, the bus company, or insurance adjusters. Even if you were not at fault for the accident, anything you say could be used against you in a legal proceeding. If you are injured in a bus accident:
- Don’t admit fault: Even if you think you may have contributed to the accident, do not admit fault. Admitting fault could harm your case and make it difficult to receive compensation for your injuries.
- Avoid discussing your injuries: Avoid discussing your injuries with anyone other than medical professionals, and do not post about your accident or injuries on any of your social media accounts. Anything you post is discoverable by the insurance company if you have your account set to public.
- Don’t sign anything: Do not sign documents presented to you by the insurance company related to the accident without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. Signing waivers or consent to your medical records could adversely impact your case and reduce your compensation.
Speaking with a personal injury lawyer at Catalano Law can help protect your legal rights and ensure you receive the financial compensation you deserve.
If you have been involved in an accident with a city bus, seek legal guidance from a personal injury lawyer. At Catalano Law, our team of skilled attorneys understands the complexities of these cases. We can help you navigate the legal process, from negotiating with insurance companies to representing you in court if you cannot reach a settlement agreement with the insurance company.
Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your bus accident case and learn your options for pursuing compensation.