A slip and fall may seem minor, but it can lead to severe injuries. Fall-related injuries are the leading cause of injury hospitalizations in New York State for children under 14 and adults aged 25 and up. People aged 45 and older who sustain unintentional fall injuries are also at higher risk of serious complications.
An injury from a slip and fall does more than cause physical damage. It can result in significant financial losses with increasing medical expenses, lost wages while victims are unable to return to work, and other costs. Since every slip and fall claim is unique, you should consult a Syracuse slip and fall lawyer to find out how to get fair compensation for your injuries.
Insurance companies often use high-pressure tactics to make you accept an immediate lowball settlement. Insurers are looking out for their financial interests, so you may not receive the appropriate amount of money to cover your financial losses if you don’t push back against a low offer. Once you accept a settlement from them, you will forfeit your right to pursue the claim further, even if you run out of settlement money before you run out of bills.
You should consult a lawyer before speaking with insurance adjusters, giving the insurance company any information, signing any releases or other documents, or accepting an offer. A skilled slip and fall attorney knows what to ask for, and can negotiate your claim with the insurance company on your behalf.
If your insurance company refuses to provide you with an adequate settlement, your personal injury lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Getting a fair settlement deal varies according to the accident details, so it is crucial that you call and get a free consultation at a reputable law firm before accepting any settlement. A slip and fall injury lawyer can help you determine how much you are entitled to receive based on the severity of your injuries, their effect on your life, and the viability of your claim.
If you want to succeed in getting a just settlement, your claim should be supported by skilled legal arguments and backed up by all available evidence. An experienced slip and fall lawyer can help you estimate your damages in a slip and fall case. If you go to trial, the judge or jury decides how much to award after hearing all the evidence, which is often far more than the insurance company initially offers.
What Evidence Do You Need for a Slip and Fall Case?
A successful slip and fall case requires evidence showing the following:
- Dangerous conditions were present that resulted in your fall
- The other party intentionally created or knew about the dangerous conditions
- The severity of your injuries and the losses you suffered as a result of the fall
You can use the following evidence to support your claim:
- Photos and videos of the property, including security camera footage from the premises and/or nearby businesses
- Statements from witnesses who saw your slip and fall
- Medical records describing the nature and severity of your injuries, as well as your required psychiatric and physical therapies and medications
- Safety records, maintenance records, and inspection logs of the property
- Your pay stubs, employment records, and a written statement from your doctor stating the extent of your injuries, if you are unable to work
After a slip and fall accident, crucial evidence can disappear quickly. Eyewitnesses may forget critical details of the incident over time, and surveillance footage may be deleted. You can count on your lawyer to help gather the necessary evidence and build the strongest case possible.
What Are the Types of Compensation Available for a Slip and Fall Settlement?
As part of your settlement, you may receive any of the following damages:
- Economic damages are direct and measurable compensation for financial losses resulting from your accident. These damages can include past and future medical expenses, lost income due to inability to work, and other accident-related costs.
- Non-economic damages include compensation for pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, and impairment. These damages can be subjective and hard to quantify, but a judge or jury may award these damages based on the seriousness of your injury and its effects on your quality of life.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in New York State, it is essential to contact one of the experienced slip and fall attorneys at Catalano Law. You will receive guidance on what evidence to start gathering, so you receive reasonable compensation for your slip and fall injuries.
When you schedule your free consultation today, we can discuss how we can work together to maximize the damages you receive for your slip and fall case.